About Me

Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States
I am a left-leaning Independent and self-proclaimed political junkie who is most interested in LGBT and human rights. You'll definitely see this in my essays and posts.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Senator David Vitter (R-LA) on DADT

I recently contacted both of my state senators on the upcoming vote to repeal DADT in this lame duck session of the 111th Congress.  Here is what Vitter (R-LA) had to say:

Dear Mr. Winfield,

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.  I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

The "don't ask, don't tell" policy prohibits individuals who are openly homosexual from serving in the military.  Service members may not engage in these activities, and the military is barred from asking a service member about his or her sexual orientation.  This has been official military policy since it was implemented by President Clinton in 1994.

As you may know, the proposed Military Readiness Enhancement Act would repeal the Department of Defense's current "don't ask, don't tell" policy, and President Obama has stated that he would sign the bill into law if Congress passes it.  I believe that any actions taken by Congress and the President should be done in the best interest of the military.  The proposed legislation remains controversial, and Congress and the President should listen carefully to military leaders when trying to determine the best course of action on this issue.  Please rest assured I will keep your thoughts in mind should changes to this policy come before the U.S. Senate.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important issue.  Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other issues important to you.

Sincerely,


Senator David Vitter
United States Senator

Sounds like we can't count on him.  I'm really considering calling him, but I think that may actually be a waste of my time.  If I don't here from Mary Landrieu (D-LA) soon, I'm going to call her.

No comments:

Post a Comment